Wednesday, 6 October 2010

Things That Aren't There No. 3


My last exhibition consisted of two separately located installations with Chelsea Art College.  Above shows the work exhibited within the triangle space as part of a group show curated by myself and a fellow student. The work is part of a series of installations based on memory and loss.  All the work is made using drawings made from memory; these original drawings were to be displayed, though I removed them as part of the editing process so they remained as source material only.  The house painting and the bed sculpture shown below and the final photo showing the living room painting are all translations of these original drawings.


Detail of installation within the triangle space


Second installation shown in A Block














The second show was located in A Block. The adjoining room to this was also used as part of the space.  In the central room I exhibited an installation piece consisting of sculpture, readymades and a text piece.  

The adjoining space



Detail of sculpture




















This shows the sculpture as it was being installed. It is made from wire and bent by hand and is based on a line drawing of a bed.  When shaping the wire I aimed to stay true to the style of the original drawing.  The sculpture is suspended from the central heating pipes.

The final photo (shown below) shows the work installed within the dark space adjacent to this work.  This is a painting made using a large MDF sheet, pencil, pemanent marker, acrylic paint and oil bar.  This painting is based on a drawing of the living space of a flat I once lived in.  This painting was created as a process of adding and erasing detail as I remembered the room and corrected the details.  I will document this process in a seperate blog entry. 


Painting shown in dark room space




1 comment:

  1. excellent re-cap on things. Good to see some of the work again. Some of it is actually easier to take in as a photo than the more complex encounter with real thing.
    There is a French artist who specialised in photo illusionism whose name I will retrieve for you soon,
    J

    ReplyDelete